About Dr. Liu
Board Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon
Subspecialty Certified in Sports Medicine
T. Thomas Liu, MD PhD, is a board certified orthopaedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine. He received his undergraduate and combined MD/PhD degrees from the prestigious University of Pennsylvania, then completed his orthopaedic surgery residency at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) under the world-renowned Dr. Freddie Fu. He continued his sports fellowship at UPMC, where he helped take care of the defending world-champions Pittsburgh Steelers and Pittsburgh Penguins along with numerous collegiate teams. During his fellowship, he also worked with Drs. Lovell and Collins, who wrote the new NFL guidelines on concussions.
In addition to being versed in general orthopaedics, Dr. Liu has special skills in anatomic single- and double-bundle anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstructions, shoulder instability and rotator cuff repairs, proximal hamstring repairs, and medical management of concussions. He is passionate about high school football and enjoyed taking care of a team that won three state championships during his tenure.
Dr. Liu has an extensive research background, having authored and published numerous papers in scientific journals as well as written book chapters in orthopaedic textbooks. He has delivered presentations in international conferences on topics as diverse as gene therapy, orthopaedics, and immunology as well as demonstrating surgical techniques in national and international forums. He also helps other sports surgeons by formulating self-assessment and continuing education questions.
- Undergraduate: University of Pennsylvania, B.A with honors
- Medical: University of Pennsylvania, M.D./Ph.D. Combined Degree Program
- Orthopaedic Surgery Internship:University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA
- Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Fellowship: University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM)
- American Orthopaedic Association – Emergent Leaders Program (AOA-ELP)
- Association of Ringside Physicians